Prep time: 5 minutes, Cook time: 30-50 minutes, Servings: 4
- Arhar dal (tuvar dal, pigeon pea lentils): ½ cup
- Oil or ghee: 2 tbsp
- Cumin seeds: ½ tsp
- Onion: 1 medium size
- Curry leaves: 10 to 12
- Ginger-garlic paste: 3 tsp
- Tomatoes: 2 medium-sized
- Red chili powder: ¼ tsp
- Turmeric powder: ¼ tsp
- Asafoetida (hing): A pinch
- Water: 2 cups
- Salt: To taste
- Cook the dal, either in a pressure cooker for three whistles, or you can do this in a saucepan -use enough water to cover the lentils by two inches. Bring to a boil, cover, lower the heat to a simmer and continue cooking 20-40 minutes or until the dal is very tender. Add more water if needed to the pot. when the dal is cooked, whisk to make it creamy or give it a whirl in the blender. Set aside.
- Heat the oil in a saucepan.
- Add the asafetida and cumin seeds. When the cumin sputters, add the curry leaves and onion and sauté on a medium flame until the onions turn translucent. Add the ginger-garlic paste and stir for a minute.
- Add the tomatoes along with the turmeric, red chili powder, and cook, occasionally stirring, until the tomatoes turn mushy and start breaking down.
- Add the cooked dal and salt to taste. Bring to a boil and then let it simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes until the flavors have merged. Add water if the dal gets too thick.