Prep Time: 10 minutes, Cook time: 20 minutes, Servings: 4
- Yellow Onion: 1 medium sized, 1/4-inch-thick slices
- Garlic: 2 cloves
- Sun-dried tomatoes: 3 pieces chopped
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil: 1/4 cup
- Fresh chopped Thyme: 1 teaspoon
- Kosher Salt: Pinches
- Black Pepper: Pinches
- Small zucchini : 4 ounces, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- Small yellow squash: 4 ounces, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- Eggplant: 6 ounces, sliced into 1/4-inch rounds
- Toss the onion, garlic, sun-dried tomatoes, 1 tablespoon of the olive oil, 1/2 teaspoon of the thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a couple grinds of pepper in a microwave-safe 9-inch pie dish.
- Cover with a piece of wax paper. Microwave on high (at 100 percent power) until the onions are soft and translucent, 7 minutes in an 1,100-watt oven or 10 minutes in a 700-watt oven. (When removing the wax paper, be careful to avoid the hot steam.) If the onions are still a little raw, microwave again, covered, in 30-second increments.
- While the onions cook, toss the eggplant, zucchini, and yellow squash slices with 2 tablespoons of the remaining olive oil, the remaining 1 thyme, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few turns of black pepper in a large bowl.
- Alternating vegetables, shingle slices in a circular pattern over the cooked onions in the pie dish. Sprinkle lightly with salt. Cover with wax paper. Microwave on high (at 100 percent power) until the vegetables are soft, 9 minutes in an 1,100-watt oven or 14 minutes in a 700-watt oven.
- If there is any resistance when you pierce the vegetables with a paring knife, microwave again, covered, in 30-second increments. Microwave, uncovered, on high (at 100 percent power) for 3 minutes in an 1,100-watt oven or 4 minutes in a 700-watt oven to evaporate excess moisture.
- Drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.